Canada Travel

Canada: The Best
Kept Secret In Golf

Canada is a golfer’s paradise with more than 2,000 courses from coast-to-coast, most of them within 160 kilometers (100 miles) of the U.S. border.

You'll find our courses offer top-notch facilities and services, all at a great value.  For American golfers, Canadian golf is now "On Sale for 50% Off" thanks to the very favorable US-Canada dollar exchange rate. Specially-priced packages are also available to help you drive even better value into your golf vacation in Canada this season.

Canada’s got it all – from legendary golf resorts carved out of the Canadian Rockies or Quebec’s Laurentian Mountains to moody seaside “links-style” courses.   Combine championship golf with a getaway to one of Canada’s lively and multicultural cities.  Or, get close to nature at a cottage-country resort set among picturesque lakes and hardwood forests.

How to Get Here

Canada is served by daily direct flights from all major cities in the U.S., Europe and Asia.  The following chart lists estimated Air Canada flying time between selected international cities and selected Canadian golf gateway cities.  For more information, visit
City/Flying Time Vancouver Calgary Toronto Montreal Quebec City Halifax
Atlanta 8 hr 7 hr 2 hr 4 hr 4.5 hr 5 hr
Dallas 4.5 hr 5 hr 3 hr 4 hr 5.5 hr 6 hr
Frankfurt 10 hr 10 hr 8 hr 8 hr 10 hr 10 hr
London 9 hr 9 hr 7 hr 7 hr 9.5 hr 7.5 hr
Los Angeles 2.5 hr 3 hr 4.5 hr 5 hr 7 hr 7.5 hr
New York 5.5 hr 7 hr 1.5 hr 1.5 hr 4 hr 4 hr
Paris 15 hr 13 hr 8.5 hr 7.5 hr 9.5 hr 12.5 hr


Driving in Canada

Canada has an excellent highway system, with distances and speed limits clearly posted on highway signs in metric. Drivers' licenses and international drivers' licenses, from the United States or from other countries, are valid in Canada.  Seat belt use is mandatory – Buckle Up!

Here are a few sample driving distance between selected U.S. and Canadian cities: 

Seattle – Vancouver:  3 hours

Portland – Vancouver:  5 hours

Spokane – Calgary:  8.5 hours

New York – Montreal:  6 hours

Buffalo – Toronto:  3 hours

Toronto – Montreal:  6 hours

Boston – Nova Scotia: 5 hours + 3 hour High Speed Catamaran Ferry


We use the Canadian dollar and notes come in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100; coins 1c, 5c, 10c, 25, $1, and $2.  Although many retail outlets, restaurants and other venues may accept American money, visitors are advised to exchange their travellers checks or cash for Canadian currency.

Normal banking hours are Monday to Friday, 9.30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with extended hours including weekends at many locations.

Automated teller machines (ATMs) are numerous and open 24-hours a day.  At ATMs displaying the Cirrus, Plus or Interac international banking network symbols, visitors to Canada can withdraw Canadian funds using their own personal automated banking cards or credit cards. The visitors’ bank sets the exchange rate.

Throughout Canada, most businesses will accept major credit cards and travellers checks for payment.

Foreign exchange is available at city banks, major hotels, and numerous private foreign currency exchange offices located in tourist centers.

OANDA, The Currency Site provides an extensive set of currency conversion and foreign exchange information services for travellers, investors and businesses.



Tips or service charges are not usually added to a bill in Canada, except for large parties or banquets. In general, tip between 10 – 20 per cent of the total amount based on the quality of service.  This applies to waitstaff, barbers, hairdressers, taxi drivers, and others in the hospitality sector.  Tip bellhops, doormen and redcaps (porters) at hotels, airports and railway stations $2 per item of luggage.

Sales Tax Rebate Program for Visitors

Sales taxes in Canada vary by province. A seven per cent national goods and services tax (GST) is charged on most goods and services.

Foreign visitors may claim a full rebate of the GST on non-consumable goods (items purchased in Canada that they take out of the country within 60 days of purchase), and on hotel and motel accommodation. There is no rebate on consumable items such as meals, liquor, tobacco, transportation costs and gasoline.

To apply for a refund, present your original receipts at a participating Canadian duty free shop for a total cash refund of up to $500 Canadian when leaving Canada. Or mail a completed refund application along with the original receipts to the address on the application. Allow six to eight weeks for a refund.

For further information, call the Visitor Rebate Program at 1-800-668-4748 inside Canada or (902) 432-5608 outside the country. Or, visit their website:


Canada offers a very hospitable climate for golfers – with warm summers, and mild spring and fall temperatures. The golfing season in most of the country runs from mid-April to mid-October, similar to that of Michigan and the Northeastern states.

On the milder West Coast, many courses in British Columbia are open year-round, with great uncrowded golfing available from February to November.

Average summer temperatures are in the 80°s Fahrenheit (high 20°s Celsius).  Humidity is low, especially in the mountains and along the coast.  It’s nice and warm, but never too hot for summer golf in Canada.

Advance Tee Time Booking Recommended

Advance tee-time reservations are highly recommended at all times, especially during the peak summer season.  Book your tee-times on-line at this site now for more than 70 Canadian Golf Tourism Alliance member courses across the country.  Cancellation policies vary by course. 

Cart Use on the Course

Motor and pull cart rental are always available, but seldom mandatory. You will find Canadian golf courses a little less formal, and walking is usually always permitted at courses.   

Public Holidays

There are 10 statutory holidays and one civic holiday celebrated annually in Canada. Generally, banks and some businesses remain closed. Theaters, restaurants, and corner grocery stores remain open for business as usual. In tourist centers, many of the shops remain open.

Holidays 2001 2002
New Year's Day Jan 1 Jan 1
Good Friday Apr 13 Mar 29
Easter Monday Apr 16 Mar 31
Victoria Day May 21 May 20
Canada Day Jul 1 Jul 1
Civic Holiday Aug 6 Aug 5
Labour Day Sept 3 Sept 2
Thanksgiving Day Oct 8 Oct 14
Remembrance Day Nov 11 Nov 11
Christmas Day Dec 25 Dec 25
Boxing Day Dec 26 Dec 26

Emergency Medical Travel Insurance

Canadian hospital and medical services are excellent. Visitors to Canada should obtain travellers' health insurance before leaving home, however Canadian hospitals will not refuse treatment to those requiring care, regardless of their financial status or health care coverage.

Daily rates for hospital care in Canada vary from province to province. Charges for adult in-patient care can start at $900 per day; charges for children in specialized hospitals can be higher still. In addition, some provinces impose a surcharge of up to 30 per cent on care for non-residents. Visitors taking prescription medication should bring a copy of the prescription for renewal in Canada.

Non-resident Automobile Liability Insurance while Driving in Canada

All United States motorists are advised to obtain a Canadian Non-Resident Inter-province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. This card is available only in the United States through United States insurance agents. All provinces in Canada require visiting motorists to produce evidence of financial responsibility should they be involved in an accident.


Outlets and voltage (110 volts) are the same as in the United States. Small appliances such as hair dryers, irons and razors can be used in Canada. For those from other countries, adapters are required for electrical appliances. The frequency of electrical current in Canada is 60 Hz

Video System

In Canada, the NTSC-system is in use, the same as in the United States. This system is not compatible with the PAL and SECAM systems used in Europe and in many other countries. If you purchase a videocassette in Canada, ensure it is recorded in the appropriate system for your video playback machine.

Canada is Metric

Canada follows the international metric system. Temperature, distance, velocity and weights are expressed in metric units.

Conversion Guide

Measurment Metric Imperial
Distance 1 kilometer 0.6 mile
Mileage Conversion 50 km/h
80 km/h
100 km/h
30 mph
50 mph
65 mph
Volume 1 liter 1 US quart
Weight 1 kilogram 2.2 pounds
Temperature 80° F 28° F


English and French are Canada's two official languages. English is the predominant language in all provinces, except Quebec.  Hotels, airline offices, restaurants, banks and shops in key tourist destinations have multi-lingual staff.

Time Zone

Canada is the second largest country in the world and spans seven time zones. Vancouver is in the same time zone as Los Angeles.  Toronto and Montreal are in same time zone as New York.  Halifax is one hour ahead of New York time.  In most parts of Canada, Daylight Savings Time is in effect from 0200hr on the first Sunday in April until 0200hr on the last Sunday in October.

Customs and Immigration Regulations

U.S. citizens and visitors from most European countries do not require a Visitor Visa for entry to Canada.  For Americans, identification establishing citizenship is required such as an original birth certificate or a certified copy of proof of birth location from a town hall, plus one photo ID card. A passport is not required but is ideal for identification. Temporary residents of the U.S. must carry a passport and may also require a Visitor Visa depending on their citizenship.

Visitors from other countries require a passport valid for at least six months longer than their intended stay. Some may be required to obtain a Visitor Visa from a Canadian embassy or consulate prior to travel to Canada.  You may e-mail Canada Customs at: for information or contact your closest Canadian embassy or consulate for this information. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the website:

Travelling with Children

Canada is a safe and friendly country to travel in with children.  Many hotels, resorts, attractions and restaurants offer special programs or menus for children to encourage family travel.

U.S. visitors entering Canada with children must show identification for each child establishing citizenship, such as an original birth certificate or a certified copy of proof of birth location from a town hall plus one photo ID card. A passport is not required but is ideal identification. A letter of permission is required from the parents of any child accompanying travellers who do not have legal custody of that child. Visitors from other countries should contact their nearest Canadian consulate or embassy to learn what documents are required. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the website:

Bringing Alcohol and Tobacco into Canada

U.S. visitors meeting the age requirements of the province or territory of entry (19 in most provinces; 18 in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec) may bring either 40 oz. of liquor or wine or 24, 12 oz. containers of beer or ale. They may also bring in 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 7 oz. loose tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.

Visitors from other countries should contact their nearest Canadian consulate or embassy to determine the restrictions on bringing alcohol and/or tobacco into Canada. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the website:
Canada Customs may also be contacted by e-mail at:

Visiting Canada with Your Pet

For U.S. visitors, all pets must be accompanied by their owners when entering Canada. Owners of cats and dogs must bring a certificate issued by a licensed American or Canadian veterinarian clearly identifying the pet and certifying that it has been vaccinated against rabies some time during the previous 36 months. Kittens and puppies younger than three months are exempt.

Bringing Fruits and Vegetables into Canada

Fruits and vegetables are either prohibited or require an import permit to bring them into Canada. Please contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Import Service Centre to determine the requirements at 1-800-835-4486.

Visitors from other countries should contact their nearest Canadian consulate or embassy to learn what restrictions apply. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the website: The e-mail address of Canada Customs is:

Bringing Your Gun into Canada

Canada has strict laws governing the cross-border movement, possession and use of firearms. All firearms must be declared at the first point of entry. Before attempting to bring firearms into Canada, U.S. visitors should contact one of the Canadian customs border service offices listed in the website: Visitors from other countries should contact their nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for complete information. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the website: . The e-mail address of Canada Customs is: